Notice of Annual Trustee Elections
November 7, 2017, the Chicago Teachers’ Pension Fund will hold elections for
2 Teacher Trustees to serve three-year terms from November 2017-2020
1 Principal/Administrator Trustee, to fill a vacancy for the term ending November 2019
3 Pensioner Trustees to serve two-year terms from November 2017-2019
Eligibility Criteria for Candidates
Individuals who wish to run for office must meet the following criteria as of October 1, 2017:
Teacher Trustee candidates must:
- Be a CTPF Member, other than a Principal/Administrator, as defined by the Illinois Pension Code
- Have been assigned on a regular certificate for at least 10 years in the Chicago Public Schools or charter schools within District 299
- Be nominated by a petition signed by at least 200 contributors who are not principals/administrators
Principal/Administrator Trustee candidates must:
- Be a principal/administrator as defined by the Illinois Pension Code
- Be nominated by a petition signed by at least 25 contributors who are principals/administrators
Pensioner Trustee candidates must:
- Be a service, reciprocal, or disability pensioner receiving monthly payments from the Fund
- Be nominated by a petition signed by not less than 100 pensioners
Eligibility Criteria for Voters
- Voters in the Teacher Trustee Election shall be contributors, as defined by the Illinois Pension Code, other than principal/administrators and pensioners, as of October 1, 2017.
- Voters in the Principal/Administrator Trustee Election shall be principals/administrators, as defined by the Illinois Pension Code, as of October 1, 2017.
- Voters in the Pensioner Trustee Election shall be pensioners receiving a service, reciprocal, or disability pension from CTPF as of October 1, 2017.
Individuals who meet the criteria listed above can request a nomination packet from the Chicago Teachers' Pension Fund office beginning Monday, May 1, 2017. Call Gail Davis 312-604-1400, ext. 402, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; the last day to request election packets is Friday, September 15, 2017. Completed petitions and candidate resumes must be submitted to the Chicago Teachers' Pension Fund office, 203 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2600, Chicago, Illinois 60601-1231, on or before the close of business at 5:00 p.m.(CDT), Friday, September 29, 2017.
Schedule of Election Events
|May 1, 2017||Election packets available|
|September 15, 2017||Last day to request election packets|
|September 29, 2017||5:00 p.m., nomination packets due to CTPF|
|October 20, 2017||Election materials mailed and online voting available for Pensioners and Principal/Administrator Election|
|November 1-7, 2017||Election materials distributed in schools and online voting available for Teacher Trustee election|
|November 7, 2017||Voting closes for all elections at 5:00 p.m. All mail-in ballots must be received by this date.|
|November 8, 2017||Final election results certified|
|November 16, 2017||Trustees sworn in during CTPF Board Meeting|
On September 1, 2017, Charles A. Burbridge, Executive Director, Chicago Teachers' Pension Fund (CTPF), appointed a six-member Canvassing Board to monitor the 2017 CTPF Teacher Trustee Election in November.
The Canvassing Board is comprised of four CTPF Pension Representatives and two CTPF staff members. An email was sent to Pension Representatives, asking for Representatives who were interested in serving on the Board. The four Pension Representative appointees were randomly selected from those who expressed an interest:
Kent Barnhart, Pension Representative, Disney II Magnet Elementary
Delcenia Castillo, Member Services Specialist, CTPF
Gail Davis, Manager of Administrative Services, CTPF
Elsa Ortiz-Kenny, Pension Representative, Cesar Chavez Multicultural Academy
Chaunte Robinson, Pension Representative, Arthur Dixon Elementary School
Dustin Voss, Pension Representative, Fenger Academy High School
The Canvassing Board will receive vote totals and certify election results.